10 Things You Should NEVER Do If You Want To Train A Rottweiler
As a dog owner, there are many things you need to know about training your rottweiler. It’s not only challenging but it can be done in a straightforward and humane way.
Training a rottweiler might seem intimidating at first, especially with all the horror stories we hear about them, but don’t worry-you’re not alone!
One of the most important things you should know when training your Rottie is that they respond best to praise and rewards for following instructions so make sure to use them often.
Here are 10 things you should NEVER do if you want to train a rottweiler:
1) Don’t give up too quickly on training your pup- You have to stick with this for as long as it takes.You can’t just expect your pup to automatically know what’s expected of them.
2) Don’t give up until your rottweiler comes to understand that you’re the boss- A dog’s pack mentality is a very strong one, and most of them see themselves at the top of this hierarchy. With a rottweiler, you have to make sure they know who is number 1 in this pack.
3) Don’t use your emotions when training your rottweiler- Remember, they’re just dogs and you just have to be patient with them. Excessive punishment will only make it worse for you at the end of the day.
Read Full Guide: Teaching a Rottweiler How to Sit on Command
4) Never hit or scream at a rottweiler during training- Your training should be a positive experience for both of you.
5) Don’t focus on negative reinforcement- It will only affect your rottweiler’s temperament and he might become even more aggressive. Instead, reward them with treats when they do it right so they can understand that following instructions produce food or toys.
6) Don’t beat yourself up if your rottweiler doesn’t listen to you- Perhaps you are getting frustrated and that’s why he’s not following instructions.
7) Don’t ever give up on training your rottweiler– It may be more difficult at first but with time, patience, treats, praise, and gifts, they will learn to listen.
8) Don’t leave your rottweiler on his own for too long- You have to be with your dog whenever he is not in the kennel or being fed. This will serve as punishment if they are left alone for too long.
9) Don’t let training your rottweiler to get in the way of your schedule- In other words, don’t train them when you’re too tired or when you have plans. This will only make it more difficult for you and for them to learn and understand the rules and discipline that need to be followed.
10) Don’t forget that rottweilers are just like puppies sometimes- Even though they are very big, you have to play with them and have fun. They can be unpredictable at times so it’s important that you teach them good behaviors early on.
These are the 10 things you should never do if you want to train a rottweiler. Remember these tips when training your pup so he will grow up to be a happy and well-mannered dog.